If you are anything like me, when it comes time to hang up a picture frame or some other wall art ornamentation you’ll use anything within reach that has pounding capabilities and potential. I’ve even used wooden-heeled clogs to drive a nail in the wall. It’s habits like these however that can turn any DIY project into a hole-in-the-wall bruised thumb experience. Every home owner and budding DIY enthusiast needs to accumulate a variety of specific tools and store them in an easily-accessible place to properly ensure a safe and structured administering of doing it yourself.
While you may not be the type to embrace the style of wearing a tool belt, your toolbox should have at least the following necessary and sometimes just convenient tools for the DIY list you want to accomplish within the next five years.
• Claw hammer. Nothing like a hammer head becoming detached from it’s handle, so fix it or get a new one if yours becomes loose. You want one whose hammer head weight will give enough momentum to create an effortless swing.
• Phillips and flat head screwdrivers. Unfortunately there is no such thing as a one size fits all screw so finding a set that has a wide range of sizes is always a plus.
• Crescent wrench. For all those bolts that require every ounce of our patience I introduce the crescent wrench. This little miracle worker understands that we want a tool to do more than one thing simultaneously and the adjustable jaw on this wrench enables that when applied appropriately. Try not to use it when a regular wrench will do the job.
• Measuring tape. No more guesstimating. No more using other inanimate objects as references for distance. A good solid 25’ measuring tape that actually locks and retracts can even help those of us who failed math class.
• Level. In correlation with a measuring tape no matter how much you measure you want your state of the art flat-screen to hang impeccably and while our smart-phones offer level applications you want every crooked surface to feel the cool smooth lines of a level whose bubble is perfectly centered in your universe.